European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
As of the May 25th, 2018, every European company has to comply with the new European General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR in short. This page outlines how SmartMe.ie conforms to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
In simple terms, it:
- Applies to personal data — any data that relates to or can be used to identify a person in any way
- Controls what can be done with personal information
- Requires that consent is given or there is a good reason to process or store personal information.
- Gives a person a right to know what information is held about them.
- Allows a person to request information about them is erased and that they are ‘forgotten’ — unless there is a reason not to do this — e.g. a loan account.
- Makes sure that personal information is adequately protected. New systems must have protection designed into them (Privacy by Design). Access to data is strictly controlled and only given when required (Privacy by Default).
- If data is lost, stolen or is accessed without authority, the authorities must be notified and possibly the people whose information has been obtained may need to be also notified.
- Data cannot be used for anything other than the reason given at the time of collection.
- Data is securely deleted after it is no longer needed.
- Allows national authorities to impose fines on companies breaching the regulation. These fines can be up to €20 million or 4% of the businesses global turnover — whichever is higher.
What information do you hold on me?
To see what information we hold on you, use the form below, and we will send you a copy of all the data we have stored in our database.
I want to delete my account
In case you created an account on our website to post one or more smartads, simply log into your account, click the link to edit your profile, scroll all the way to bottom where you will find a link that enables you to delete your account. Clicking this link will delete all your personal information as well as all ads you placed with us, either still active or not and any comments/remarks you placed on our website to other people’s ads.
I want you to delete any other information you have on me
In case you contacted us through our general contact form but never created an account with us, you can still request us to delete the information we stored after you contacted us. This would be your name, email address and any remarks you sent us through our contact form. You can use the form below to request this.